Thursday, February 18, 2010

Are split image focusing screens not as good as the clear focusing screens ?

I scratched my focusing screen while cleaning my nikon D40. I'm trying to look for the factory original but i can't find it, alot of split image focusing screens came out instead. So are they any good? Plus what is a right way of cleaning the focusing screen?Are split image focusing screens not as good as the clear focusing screens ?
I have absolutely no idea why cameras aren't already fitted with split focusing screens. When they stopped using them - expecially with digital cameras - it was a huge letdown.Are split image focusing screens not as good as the clear focusing screens ?
I really miss split image focusing screens! To me, this is a major upgrade. You will still have the ground glass (the usual) for most of the viewfinder area, but a split image removes all doubt. You need to find something in the image that is suitable to use in the split image portion, but it's either in or it's out. Now I want to see if I can get one.......





~~~~~~





As far as the ';black out'; phenomenon - it's true - but I found that you can move your eye either up or down SLIGHTLY in the viewfinder and you can usually make it so you can see the focusing aid okay.
I like the split image and fresnel ring type best, but I don't use AF. One was enough to cure me for life.
Get one they are outstanding for manual focus operation.They are the same on auto.
Yikes! What got into your focusing screen?





I have had both Nikon and Canon SLR's for decades and never had to clean the focusing screens. I hope you did not scratch your mirror. That would be disastrous requiring replacement by an authorized Nikon repair station
If you're talking about the KatzEye split-prism screen, an informal survey shows lots of people really like it for manually focusing their non- AF-S lenses.





However they're $95 plus tax and shipping.





If you don't need to manually focus lenses, call Nikon and see what the OEM screen costs. Could be more...could be less.





And you should never ever touch a screen. Clean off dust with a blower brush.





BTW there's a YouTube video that shows you how to change the screens.





HTH


V2K1
It mostly comes down to a matter of preference.





In my opinion, it's easier to focus on a good-quality matte screen than it is with a split prism or microprism ring.





Matte screens designed for manual focusing are a sight to behold. I have a ';J'; all matte screen for my Canon F-1N, and not only is it amazingly bright but it also ';snaps'; so well when the lens is in focus that there's no question.





Unfortunately, though, since autofocus came out in the late 1980s, matte screens as good as that one have been few and far between.





Most newer cameras, including DSLRs, don't have a screen that's much count at all for manual focusing.





So, in my opinion, any after market replacement screen that makes manual focusing easier, whether matte or with a split prism, will be a huge improvement.





There's one other thing I should probably caution you on, however. Most focusing aides, including the split image and the microprism, will ';black out'; when used with small aperture lenses. The kit lens included with most cameras typically has a maximum aperture of 3.5 on the wide end, and 5.6 on the long end. There are very few focusing aides which will work at 5.6, and many won't work very well even at 3.5. With that in mind, there's a good chance that a split image focusing screen may be all but useless with the kit lens included with your camera.
  • girly myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment